Monday, December 31, 2007

Fixing the Firestarter, vers. 74234589


Fixing the Firestarter, vers. 74234589
Originally uploaded by elemmaciltur

WARNING: Do NOT read the entry if you're easily offended by the F-word....

ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

After I fucked up my Mystic Waters (still too painful to even take a photo) last week, I took time off knitting anything more complicated than a Koolhaas until yesterday when I decided to pick up my Firestarter again and knit on it. I left it off when I finished the gusset increase. I needed to make the heel extension and turn the heel and make the heel-flap then it should be smooth sailing from there.

No.

I promptly dropped some stitches while picking up the wraps from the heel-turn. I put it away, drank a glass of Port and ate some chocolate. When the alcohol was gone, I ripped it back out (thank goodness I put in a lifeline), picked up the stitches with difficulty and re-started the last 6 rows of gusset increase and then re-knit the heel extension and turned the heel successfully.

That was 3 a.m. this morning.

Now that I picked it up and was going along the heel flap carefully, I managed to dropped a fucking stitch where I was supposed to be picking up the gusset stitches together (p2tog and then turn the work at the gusset). Of course, things had to run and I couldn't fix it (I don't even know how to explain it...the p2tog's from 3 rows below came undone and it's just a fucking mess)....

...yeah, I was holding the scissors against the whole damned thing already.

I counted to 50 (yes, it took that much) and frogged it back to when I started the heel extension (I had already pulled out the lifeline last night before going to bed - yeah, spank me) and have carefully picked up the stitches...first with the knitting needle and now I just threaded the waste-yarn through.

I'm going to call it a day...because I can't deal with this freaking thing right now...lest I might have to say: "R.I.P., dear Firestarter".....and then really set fire to it.

(Sorry about the F-words here, but you can guess how frustrated I am right now.)

7 comments:

nj2 said...

I haven't even gotten to the heel yet! Do I need the alcohol and the chocolate before I get there? It sounds like you are having a miserable time.

Morticcia said...

I remember feeling just as frustrated over my first sock. Space and time worked for me, although chocolate and Port seem like much a yummier diversion. Don't give up, put the scissors away, have a great new year and try again later.

I'm sure I've said it before but your yarn choice is fabulous. You can't give up on that yarn. It's too gorgeous, and it's dying to be a Firestarter!

Auntly H said...

oy!
No wonder I'm saving Firestarter for some quiet, uninterrupted knitting time. Will that ever come?

Cindy/Snid said...

So how was the Port ;)
I still have only one sock done...this is the only sock I have ever had SSS with- but I am hoping to complete the pair once we have arrived in India. No hurries... Happy New Year!

Elemmaciltur said...

Thank you to everyone for your comment. Neither scissors nor fire had been set to the Firestarter. I picked up the stitches already and just need some time away from it before re-knitting it again.

I think that the problem was also caused by Addi Turbos...you know, slippery and all...and I also knit tightly with this sock. *sighs* mea culpa

@morticcia: Yup, vintage Port and dark chocolate (Lindt dark-bitter chocolate with 85% cocoa...I didn't want to break out the 99% yet) are definitely a very yummy choice.

@cindy/snid: The port was exceptionally yummy...since it was the Christmas gift from my boyfriend (the chocolate came with it, too).

sharon said...

Well, mine are still not back on the needles. I think when I go on the business trip to Ottawa, far away from everything.

Cinnamonamon said...

Ah yes...I'm partial to the 70% Lindt, myself. It took me more than one bar to get through this sock -- it's finicky in places, huh! Hide it from yourself until you want to play with it again -- remember; this is your *happy* hobby, lol!