I frogged my first attempt on size 2.75 mm needles using the original 60 st count and casted my STR medium weight back on size 3.00 mm needles using a 54 st count. No fat pooling. I can see my twisted stitches so much better.
Once I got used to the chart notation, I could cruise through the travelling stitches. (I will however note that I've gone through the experience of knitting Cookie A's Twisted Flower pattern so a sock pattern that only has one chart can seem comparatively easy. )
Keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't just jinx myself just now and that when I get to the gusset that it all works out, especially since I don't have the same row gauge.